The name of William Hobbayne has been part of Hanwell’s history for centuries.
In 1484 William gave a house and some 22 acres of land to be used for the poor and needy of the parish, and since then the Charity of William Hobbayne has been quietly making a difference to local people in need, hardship or distress.
In the 1600s and 1700s the charity helped local residents with expenses in illness, for example £1 to John Pope, his family having the smallpox. Consequently, £5 was spent on inoculating the poor of the parish.
The trustees supported a charity school in the 18th century, organised apprenticeships in the 19th century and in the 1930s often gave coal to out of work local people.
Times have changed since William Hobbayne lived. The Charity has changed also, and trustees have needed to be flexible, reacting to the different circumstances they have experienced.
Today grants are given to individuals and families to provide practical solutions to cases of need. Grants are also given to organisations within Hanwell that share these aims.
In 2002 the Hobbayne Charity purchased and opened the former Salvation Army Citadel in St Dunstan’s Road. This has raised the profile of the Charity and has become a focus for caring and activity in the community. Groups using the Centre include Dementia Concern and Parkinsons Disease Society, plus many others providing social activities and events for all people and all ages.
Due to the success of the Centre an extension has been built which enables the Charity and various other groups to offer advice and information, much needed in these difficult times. We are sure William Hobbayne would approve!
Both the main hall and the extension are available to hire out for classes and community projects, please contact the main office for details;
Tel: 0208 810 0277 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org