In 1719 Bishop Rawlinson deposited in the Bodleian Library, Oxford, a manuscript containing notes which listed the memorials and inscriptions contained in the 12th Century Church of St Mary's Hanwell. Within these notes he observed that on the North Wall there were the painted words as follows 'William Hobbayn Gent gave to this Church and pore of this parish an house and 22 ackers of Land on the 21 April 1459'. In 1781 the original 12th century Church was demolished and replaced by a Georgian Church and the wall painting was not reproduced. Recent research by St Mary's Church, which involved reviewing the Bishop Rawlinson papers, brought the existence of the wall painting too light.
A plaque was designed with the original painted words from the North Wall of the Church and Trustees, Staff and Volunteers were invited to the unveiling of a plaque at the Church.
Local dignitaries, Councillors, the local MP and residents attended the unveiling of the plaque by the Mayor of Ealing, Cllr Mohinder Kaur Midha
Attendees were treated to an interesting and insightful tour of the Church including the crypt, a talk on the history of the Church and its surrounding area, a tour of the graveyard and fantastic storytelling from some very knowledgeable members of the Church community. There was also an opportunity to ring the Church bells.
David Blackwell, Hanwell Local Historian had a small selection of maps and information on display in the vestry. David has a Hanwell local history exhibition at Hanwell Community Library at east end of Cherrington Road, Hanwell W7 3HL. This takes place in the community room on the first Saturday of each month from 10am to 4pm. No need to book and admission is free. David can be contacted by email email@example.com
Thank you to all at St Mary’s Church for a fantastic day.